[bd-users] Broken link, and the font choice is too limited!

David Fong vkelim at bigpond.com
Sun Jun 11 05:33:55 MST 2006

Dear BibleDesktop team,

I have enjoyed using BibleDesktop over the past few months, and I find its
'ot1nt2' devotional a handy aid to reading the Bible during the year (and
that must be a good thing!)

It looks like the link to download v1.0.2 via JavaWebStart is broken.
Clicking on the link results in the error...

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Bible Desktop v.1.0.2
Vendor: Crosswire Bible Society
Category: Download Error

Unable to load resource: file:/E:
\Eclipse\JSword\bibledesktop/target/installed/bibledesktop-1.0.2.jnlp

Both these errors occurred with Firefox, or if starting from javaws.
Systems
- SuSE Linux 9.1 (SunJava 1.4)
- Ubuntu 6.0.6 (SunJava 1.5, Blackdown Java 1.4)

Downloading the archive and running that archives works okay (except for
proviso below). The javaws link for the daily snapshot works okay.

I would also really like a wider range of offered font size, i.e. bigger than
19 'point'. I use BibleDesktop on a laptop with a small screen, just 8.4
inches diagonal (WXGA). This works okay when running BibleDesktop with
Windows, probably because Windows refuses to recognise that I have a 1280x768
screen and operates at a lower resolution. However, it does not work well
when I am using Linux, even 19 'point' is too small!

By the way, BibleDesktop crashes Ubuntu/Xubuntu 6.0.6 (Dapper Drake) Java.
This is a bug with the Java implementation, and is because Java mis-handles
some Truetype/TTF fonts. I have posted a comment about this on my web-site,
currently ...

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/SuSE_notes/node104.html

but the node number changes regularly. The page will be accessible from

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/SuSE_notes/index.html

via Installing Ubuntu 6.0.6 -> Software -> Java

Cheerio, David.

--
David Fong : Ivanhoe, 3079, Victoria, Australia.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim --- ICQ and PGP available