[bt-devel] Proposed change for BibleTime

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Wed Oct 3 13:41:09 MST 2018

Gary,

I managed to rebase your mv2 branch on top of master and test it out.

On 03.10.2018 20:39, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> Continuously scrolling works windows across chapter and book boundaries.
> Page Up/Down keys can be used to move the text. Also, the scroll bar,
> mouse wheel, touchpad scrolling, etc. All of this works for all works
> types.

This is awesome and seems to work better than last time I tried your
branch! :)

> Auto scrolling of the active works window. Start scrolling with Shift-Up
> or Shift-Down. Increase speed by repeating Shift-Up/Down. Use the space
> bar to toggle the pausing. Hit any other key to completely stop. Also,
> changing the active window stops it. The shortcuts are in the main
> window group and can be changed using the Settings/Configure dialog.

This too is very awesome! =)

Except that I would have expected shift+arrows to work in the opposite
direction, e.g. if I push shift-down, then I expect the document to go
in the same direction as when I would push (page-)down. I would also
increase the autoscroll speed limit.

> Changed the Copy context menu to ask for the first and last key name
> that will copy to the clipboard. It can copy an entire book of the
> Bible, but it does have limit if the first and last are to far apart.

I get these two warnings about this:

WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to
BtCopyByReferencesDialog "", which already has a layout
WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to
BtCopyByReferencesDialog "", which already has a layout

I didn't look at this code, but in my experience such warnings usually
occur when you construct a QLayout giving a QWidget as parent (which
sets the layout of the parent widget to the layout being constructed),
and then later pass the layout addLayout() or similar. In such cases I
suggest to omit the parent widget argument when constructing the layout.

> The Personal commentary can be viewed like any other work. Now you can
> mouse click a verse and a dialog appears to edit and save that verse.
> You no longer have to open a separate "write" window to edit the
> Personal commentary. This works even if the Personal commentary is part
> of a parallel view. I believe it works so well that the "write" window
> functionality should be removed.

I like the idea of removing the "write" window functionality. While
mouse-clicking a verse in the personal commentary seems to work, it is
not intuitive at all. How does the user know that he should right click?
Please also take a look at the attached screenshot. There are no
headings between sections in the personal commentary nor are the
boundaries of verses clear. There is just a whole lot of whitespace one
can accidentally click on.

I think that while this concept needs a lot of more thought, it is very
positive to think in that direction, because using personal commentaries
is quite unintuitive in the current BibleTime.

---

Since the copy context menu feature and the personal commentary feature
are distinct from the scrolling features, they deserve separate feature
branches so that it would not interfere with developing continuous
scrolling. It also makes code review more difficult.

Originally, this mailing list thread was also about the scrolling
feature only, but now were talking about multiple different features and
this is a bit confusing. I understand that these other features might
also be related to the scrolling feature in one way or another.

---

One other issue I encountered is that one can no longer just select text
from the read window.