[bt-devel] Backend Proposal

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:47:23 MST 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Martin Gruner <mg.pub at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Greg.
>
> If this is really serious, then I think that the backend at least should
> be a separate package which can be built independently.

Do you mean a separate repository with separate code releases? I think
that's definitely a drastic step to take at this point.  If you just
mean giving users the option of only building the backend out of the
BibleTime source, then that is definitely the plan as to my knowledge.

> How do you want to separate rendering and UI? What about JavaScript
> interaction and such?

My understanding was that the JavaScript portion was purely a stopgap
measure until the QtWebKit API had been completed, which happened a
few versions of Qt ago. In that case, it can be replaced with Qt-level
calls.  And I'm not sure what you are asking about with separation of
rendering and UI.  As I understand the proposal, the rendering would
essentially serve a function similar to the SWORD filters in that it
would transform the raw XML received from the backend into HTML for
display in an HTML-powered application. Perhaps it could also handle
production of non-HTML output as well through various template files
or other methods?

--Greg