[bt-devel] Backend Proposal

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Sun Jun 19 17:34:26 MST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:29:24 -0500, Greg Hellings wrote:
>> 2. Once you have a Gitorious clone, you should have a local clone of
that
>> Gitorious clone. This is the repository you work in. Don't forget to
keep
>> your master up-to-date with the main repository master.
>
> This step is one that I've never gotten to work with git/gitorious.
> And it's the main reason I loathe using git over bzr.

Yeah, it's very clumsy, but I've found that as long as you are vigilant in
keeping all your copies of master up-to-date with the main master, then it
mostly works.

> This is what I was getting at when I suggested we make sure that every
> commit on bibletime:master compiles and runs, but that we keep
> branches going which can be as broken as needed while we pull out a
> component and get it working. Especially with the quantity of code
> change we're talking about to do this type of refactoring, making sure
> only commit always works will feel like an insurmountable obstacle and
> will also lead to commits which are WAY bigger than they need to be. I
> would say make sure every merge into master works as intended.

Yes, I agree, pretty much my point exactly.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za