[bt-devel] Backend Proposal

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:46:13 MST 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be willing to do the structural work of moving files into new
> directories and changing the backend and rendering into libraries. We would
> want to get agreement on the details before any work starts. The work should
> be done so that there is never a commit that does not compile and run. It
> can be broken down into a series of small steps that accomplish this.

It's probably good to identify one component at a time to pull out of
the code base and do it that way.  And it probably should be the task
of whoever is going to take the reins for that component to move the
files and modify them as necessary (in connection with people working
on any components that rely on it).  Since each component probably
requires more than just copying the files to the new folder structure,
it's probably best for each component to be done in a branch of its
own, that way every commit on main works even if there is some
breakage in the branch. It also allows for multiple people, such as
the person creating the component and people working on components
that rely on it, to collaborate on factoring out each piece. Due to
the interconnectedness, commits on the branch may not work but we'll
be sure the project works before merging each component back onto
main.

> I wonder if 3 components (backend, render, and BibleTime) are the right
> breakdown. There may be other things we should separate such as the config
> system.

I'm not sure what our config system does that isn't part of the normal
Qt cross-platform config system.  I would have guessed that any config
systems would be part of the GUI component, but you probably know
better than I.

--Greg