[bt-devel] Backend Proposal

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 05:28:38 MST 2011

Hi Greg,

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>wrote:

> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Backend_API
>
> In the interest of getting the ball rolling on the discussion we had
> in IRC today, I have created a wiki page on the implementation of a
> back end API that could be utilized by BibleTime to serve as
>
> 1) A barrier between the application and SWORD.  This would allow us
> to use the same code base to create a desktop GUI, mobile GUIs,
> web-based GUIs, etc which can all leverage the work done to bring the
> data into Qt.
>
> 2) A fulcrum to uncouple BibleTime from strict SWORD dependence. This
> will allow us to leverage other technologies to store, fetch and
> maniuplate texts to supplement those available from SWORD.
> Possibilities such as EPub reading, Perseus, specialized web sites all
> exist and who knows of what others people might come up with.

I think things like this are a good plan because they remove the need for
someone to get every resource into "a SWORD module" before it can be used by
an app.  Just one question: are you ever going to want to use versified
materials outside of SWORD (or even books that reference verses), or will
you just want to display Genbook style books? (this could have a big impact
on where you draw the dividing line between SWORD and non-SWORD
functionality).

Jon