[bt-devel] Moving to DVCS?

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun Aug 1 12:55:24 MST 2010

Hi all,

Olaf's hints on patching complexity are correct.
We had discussions on DVCS (distributed version control systems) in the
past, and people were generally in favor of them.

I think now would be a good opportunity to switch to a DVCS.

My proposal would be to use git:
- large user base, large projects using it successfully
- good documentation available
- actively developed
- is about to become the number 1 tool
- GUI frontends (e.g. EGit for eclipse, tortoisegit for windows) are
available
- satisfies all our needs.

Can you please give your opinions on this? Are there compelling reasons
not to use git? I agree that the interface is somewhat complex, but it
is not impossible to use (especially for the simple use cases) and good
documentation is available. Even I managed to use it!

If we agree to use it, we'd need to discuss the service we want to use.
Currently I think that github.com would be a good choice, better than
sf. What do you think?

On github, repositories always belong to one user (am I correct here)?
So I'd create the master repository with my user and give write
privileges to all the people which actively worked on the codebase in
the recent past (Thomas, Gary, Jaak, Eeli, and Joachim if he wants).
These would be the core gatekeepers for all other contributions.

Please give your opinion, especially all the people I just mentioned.

mg