[bt-devel] web site home page text

Thomas Abthorpe thomas at stthomasanglican.org
Mon Nov 23 10:36:49 MST 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:06:00 +0100
Daniel Holmlund <holmlundlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Raoul,
>
> I think that moving the website to Drupal is an excellent idea for
> many reasons.  If you are beginning to form a group to work on this
> project, I would like to volunteer.  I have several years of
> experience working with and deploying Drupal for missionaries here in
> France.  Typically, these sites are either online magazines for French
> speaking Africans or French podcasts.  I particularly enjoyed working
> on http://cheminsdevie.info/ the French translation/adaption of James
> Vernon McGee's 5 year 'Thru the Bible' program which was done for
> TransWorld Radio.
>
> I'd really like to see the BibleTime website become more user oriented
> and allow more people to participate together online.

I took this thread off line, so I could bounce some ideas off Daniel and
Raoul, so now back to the list.

Fist off, thanks for Daniel for volunteering to step up, and offer to help.

Until now, the website has rather been a single point contact with me
maintaining it with occasional feedback from others. As the project has grown
in developers, community etc this last year, it is time to elevate the
website to the next level. The old means of maintaining xml and rendering to
html has served it's purpose, but there is an aspect of dynamic content that
we need to address.

So to move forward, we likely can build on the drupal framework that was
implemented to deliver our blog. With the addition of a few more modules, and
this should be easily accomplished.

The process will require a time of analysis, in which we look at our
old webpage, and see what content needs to be migrated over, along with
feedback from developers and the community at large. It is also absolutely
integral that we keep our translators apprised and informed such that they
will be able to participate actively in the process.

I am a little out of my element with Drupal, but Raoul has a good working
sense of it so the initial setup should be fairly straight forward. After
that the content should be very easy to maintain. Once the website is up and
running, then we can reap the benefit of news releases, content update via
RSS, along with nice integration with the blog et al.

Now the timeline for this is still a work in progress. Between upcoming
holidays and other personal commitments we are likely going to commence in
February.

So over to you folks, feedback is appreciated!

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe

http://www.bibletime.info