[bt-devel] Windows installer tool choice (was: Re: Windows build system)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:59:54 MST 2009

2009/3/2 Thomas Crawford <tjcford at gmail.com>:
> Hey, guys, the last Windows software that I bought and that I can installed
> on my lone windows box is Windows 9.x.  I did buy a laptop that had an OEM
> XP on it, but that software can't be used anywhere but on my laptop.

According to the latest statistics (February 2009) from
www.statowl.com, of the PC users out there 0.1% are using Windows ME,
0.12% are using Windows 98.  Windows 95 doesn't even make the list,
which cuts off at those using less than 0.1% of the market share.
Even windows 2000 only gets 1.64% of the market share.  I have no
plans to bother with supporting them in my own work of building and
installing.  If you can get the source when it's packaged and build
it, that's all fine and good but 0.22% of PC users doesn't really
bother me.

On the other hand, if the next version I release (sorry, got caught up
with school, etc -- I have a new version built, just need to package
it with the .PNG files and upload it) still doesn't work properly on
XP, then we'll have a problem.  Working on Vista is all fine and good,
as it holds roughly 20% of the market share, but XP is still reported
to have over 66% market share, so obviously good support there is
imperative.  Look for an update shortly.

--Greg