[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.1.beta1 released - please test

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:38:43 MST 2009

Wow, guess I need to pay better attention to that wiki page.  A few
things I'd like to get addressed before the next weekend, and I may or
may not have time to do them myself (I'm just getting over being sick
this past week with a flu which I passed to my wife whom I am
doctoring).

--Remove the dependence on dirent.h in the one function where it
exists.  This should be replaced with QDir and similar classes.
--In our BibleTime initialization code we force the application to
look for a file C:\Users\<User>\.sword\sword.conf regardless of the
fact that the client is compiled and running in Windows and should be
looking to C:\Users\<User>\Application Data\Sword.  Firstly the name
.sword is not possible to create using Windows explorer, secondly the
application will not create it for the user, and thirdly the modules
installed to that directory by BibleTime cannot be located by other
applications, such as Xiphos, because they use the defined behavior
that the SWORD library already implements that properly searches under
Application Data.  We should do the same and either just bow to the
default behavior of the library or at least in our own implementation
we should do the same thing that the library already does.
--When the app starts for the first time in Windows it is "maximized"
but it only appears on my screen with a size of about 400x400 pixels
and I can move it around like a normal window but I can't resize it.
However, when I click the "unmaximixe" button, it jumps to a normal
size that can be resized in the normal fashion.  Not sure what's going
on there -- I haven't heard anyone report that outside of Windows.
--MOST IMPORTANTLY: a bug that is not specific to Windows is the
appalling processing time that takes place after confirming in the
"Install/Update works?" dialog and before the actual installation
takes place.  Even with a mere 2-3 works, the dialog takes a
noticeable number of seconds to change over.  For anything beyond 10
works, the time is unmanageable.  The problem is certainly in
something BibleTime is doing, because I have run the same install
command (all Bibles available from CrossWire) in BibleTime and Xiphos
on the same machine under Ubuntu with SWORD 1.6.0.  Xiphos was able to
begin the download immediately and updated its view as soon as they
were all done, whereas BibleTime took somewhere on the order of an
hour or more processing before it began downloading, then would spend
around 5 seconds between downloading a file before proceeding to the
next file.  After downloading all of the modules and installing them,
BibleTime again seemed to crash for about half the length of time it
had previously before it brought back the Bookshelf Manager dialog.
Needless to say the install in Xiphos took a few minutes total whereas
with BibleTime the process took up the whole afternoon.

I don't have any code performance tools, so I've been unable to
discover the cause of the problem.  Anyone else is welcome to take a
look!

Those are just some outstanding issues.  I'll try and take a look as
I'm able the upcoming week.

--Greg