[bt-devel] next steps

Eeli Kaikkonen eeli.kaikkonen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:24:50 MST 2008

Gary Holmlund wrote:
> The config settings dialog should be done for now. The resizing of the
> Display page is working.

I hate to trouble you even more with this, but I'm still not satisfied.

First, the whole config dialog has still the outer margins removed. It
should look the same than the Bookself Manager, i.e. has the default
margins.

Second, the font preview area doesn't actually need more space when the
dialog is resized. It's the font chooser which needs it because it has
many items in the scroll area. Now it's so short by default that it's
impossible to scroll with the scrollbar indicator - it doesn't move at
all (it may be style/resolution depended but so it is here). It should
have taller initial size - 5 or 4 lines would be good - and it should
expand. Also, if at all possible, the size chooser should have initial
width of e.g. two M's. (We have a helper function in CToolClass which
calculates the width of M for the current widget font - I think it's
much better for many situations than using pixels directly.) The font
name chooser should get the extra space because it may have very wide
text in it. Now a horizontal scrollbar takes even more vertical space
from it so that it has only two lines visible.

You removed some text from the bookname language selector. Now when I
think it, this may be better. It was a technical detail which we have
wanted to show to users, maybe mostly because we don't control the
language collection and the text would direct the users to the Sword
project. However, it doesn't actually help and is a bit irrelevant. We
can live without it.

Again, I'm sorry to bother you with same things, but I will let nothing
which may be uncomfortable or unpleasant for users creep in. Usability
and high quality of UI is very important to us.

Anyways, your work is also very important to us. Your presence also
motivates me to work harder, so it has double the good effect. Keep that
in mind when I complain something...

--Eeli Kaikkonen