[bt-devel] next steps

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 15:01:37 MST 2008

Just a comment from me...

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> The Qt-only release (for *nix) could be 1.8 and the cross-platform
> release 2.0. Of course if somebody works for cross-platform porting
> simultaneously while someone else gets rid of the KDE we might be able
> to release 2.0 directly.

I'm happy to continue giving updates from the OS X side of things, and
I tried once to get Bibletime built on Windows against the KDE 4.1.x
that's available from KDE directly.  However, for the Windows build I
used the MSVC version of the KDE dev files, and there were problems
with the Qt headers used by Bibletime.  Further research showed that
the open-source Windows version of Qt only supports Cygwin/MinGW and
one must pay for the MSVC version of Qt.  So I'm reinstalling KDE with
the MinGW to integrate it with my Cygwin environment and I'll give you
updates from Vista when they come available.  The magic of CMake and
Qt made the OS X port quite easy, and I would imagine the same can be
said for Windows builds once it's worked out.  I have no knowledge of
making Windows installers, but I'm sure that I can learn that to help
with Windows packaging.

I'm sad to say that I am getting more comfortable in Windows as time
drags on, but primarily I see the importance that others have
mentioned of adding support for Windows to the SWORD world, so that
more people can benefit from the work that's been done and is being
done.

--Greg