[bt-devel] Eliminate KFontChooser from Configuration Dialog

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:43:34 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> I would like to see some improvements with layout. The current one is
> good but sizes are not so good. The font size chooser area should be
> narrow. Actually the whole config dialog should be smaller. Fashionable
> mini-laptops have small displays and all dialogs should fit in 800x600
> or even 800x480 minus desktop panel and window decorations (Asus Eeepc
> 701). The BibleTime main window is good but the config dialog is way too
> big, and I think it's because of the Languages page. Restructuring the
> whole dialog may be necessary and it's needed anyways as I wrote earlier
> but all parts should be resizeable anyways.
>
> I don't know if the header "Requested Font" is necessary. The widget is
> self-explaining for anyone who has used programs which handle text.
> "Font", "Font style" and "Size" are nice though. "Font" doesn't sound
> correct, actually it means family+style+size or family+style (see
> wikipedia article for font). Qt API uses "family". OpenOffice uses "Font
> Name" in tooltip. I know the KDE class uses "Font" but it doesn't make
> it correct.

I worked on the layout of all the configuration dialog pages taking
space out and reducing the size of the text rendering areas on the
language and display pages. It is basically all that can be done
without restructuring. The size is now about 600x400. I think it
looks pretty good but the rendered text for the font chooser might
be a little small. Please send your thoughts about it.

Gary