[bt-devel] Problems with GCC 4.3.2 on Kubuntu 8.10

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 6 10:45:42 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Martin Gruner wrote:
>
>> Hi Eeli,
>>
>> I removed the problematic const modifiers last night.
>>

> OK, I'll see what's left and if it's worth changing.
>
> Meanwhile, good reading about const:
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/const-correctness.html. I warmly
> recommend it especially because there have been so much confusion in our
> code.

The list of changes looks very similar to mine. After reading the diff
of your commit I found only one place where I wonder if the change was
correct. In cbtconfig const QFont& CBTConfig::getDefault is changed to
QFont&... and it should be legal to have const there. The semantics is
the same when returning "const QFont*" which means that you can't change
the QFont object through the pointer/reference. It stops unwanted
modifications of objects.

Those which Greg detected were probably "x* const y()"s and they are now
rightly corrected, as are numerous "const x y()"s. I don't find any
other cases which should be changed, so Martin's commit was enough.

--Eeli Kaikkonen