[bt-devel] Good news (about bookmarks)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Dec 26 13:03:42 MST 2008

Finally I have got something done with the bookmarks. I have been doing
it for some time already but it's quite large job. It's not ready yet
but please test what's there so far.

Moving or copying bookmarks in the tree doesn't work yet. Creating
bookmarks by dragging them from text views work. Exporting/importing
doesn't work.

There are many new things. First, the top level folder has been removed.
Second, there's an arrow pointing to the drop place. Third, there's a
new "invisible" persistent item at the bottom of the view. Fourth,
support for old  (ancient) bookmarks has been dropped.

The top level folder was unnecessary, at least logically. It was quite
stupid to have one persistent folder under which all bookmarks/folders
must be created. But it had a price when writing code: quite many things
needed rewriting because the old code assumed a top level folder. It has
a price also for user interface: creating a new bookmark/folder should
work even when the visible area is already full. It didn't work always
and therefore I had to add an invisible top level item which stays there
always as the last item. It looks a little bit stupid because the top
level tree indicator has been turned on. However, currently it works
also as a tooltip. But it may look a bit annoying when the mouse pointer
moves over it. What do you think?

The arrow is an svg image and it's painted there when needed. I didn't
find a way to paint item backgrounds reliably so it's done in the
treeview widget paintEvent. BTW, it should work even with RtoL languages
but not quite identically. You can test it with ./bibletime --reverse.

We had discussion about the old bookmarks long time ago and there was a
conclusion that the support could be dropped - it's so old that probably
nobody has those bookmarks anymore.

The Qt classes have both auto-opening folders and autoscrolling view
while dragging.

This all needs testing.
- Load existing bookmarks created with 1.6
- Try different this with many or no bookmarks
- Start drag from different places from BT or from other applications
- Drag to the bookmarks view to different areas
- Drag bookmarks to other widgets and other applications
- Cancel drags which are created in different places and are on top of
different areas
- Resize the bookmarks view, make it very small/large and try different
things
- Try dragging on top of a folder which has subfolders
- Open the RMB menu on top of different areas with different kinds of
item selections
- Test the RMB menu items with different kinds of items/selections

And tell your opinions:

How the RMB menu should work with regarding to different
items/selections? Does it feel logical now? Do you feel it works just
like you expected? How about selecting/moving/copying bookmarks - how it
should work (after it's implemented)? Or anything else which comes to
mind...

--Eeli Kaikkonen