[bt-devel] static build

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 29 08:57:16 MST 2007

We discussed about the possibility of a static binary build. I
researched this a bit further. It is quite simple to make a static build
with cmake: you just have to edit CMakeCache.txt and add -static flag to
the linker flags.

But there is one practical problem. All statically linked libraries must
have a static version installed. Some libraries in Kubuntu have them,
some not. Sword, clucene, X11 and basic system libraries have them, Qt
and KDE don't. This means that if we want to build a static binary
someone has to rebuild Qt and KDE from sources with proper flags so that
the static libraries are created.

It makes little sense to link X11 libraries statically. It should be
possible to link some libraries statically and some dynamically but I
don't know how, especially with cmake. Qt and KDE should be static
anyways because everything should be built with the same compiler
version (or with the same ABI to be more accurate).

The size of the static build would be something like 100-150MB. Not a
small one but maybe not too big either for modern internet connections.
KDE is the largest package, then X11.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland