[bt-devel] Can't get Bibletime to run properly...

Steven P. Ulrick bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 01:22:44 -0500

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:03:55 +1000
Bibletime <bibletime@capstone.net.au> wrote:

> I know that this is supposed to be a developer's list, but I need some help
> getting bibletime to run.
>
> I have a Red Hat 7.3 workstation and I have firstly downloaded
> bibletime-1.2.1.tar.bz2 and followed the instructions for installation. I
> also downloaded Sword and installed it and the KJVlite module and unzipped it
> into /usr/share/sword.
>
> I then downloaded bibletime-doc-1.2.1.tar.bz2 and installed it.
>
> However, I still couldn't get it to run.
>
> By this time the Red Hat 7.3 RPMs (bibletime-1.2.1-1.rh73.i386.rpm and
> bibletime-doc-1.2.1-1.rh73.noarch.rpm) had been released and so I ran a "make
> uninstall" and then installed the RPMs. While the KJVlite module had already
> been installed, I re-installed it again and started Bibletime.
>
> On startup, I get:
>
> Chapter 7. No modules installed!
> There are no installed Sword modules!
>
> Does anyone know why this is hapenning?
>
> Now in complete frustration, I have downloaded the Gnomesword RPM and tried to
>
> install it:
>
> rpm -ivh gnomesword-0.7.3-7.3.2.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libsword.so.1   is needed by gnomesword-0.7.3-7.3.2
>
> It seems that Linux has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to be as user-friendly as
> Windows.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

Hello, Brad :)
Man, I know somewhat how you feel.  I use Red Hat 7.3 as well, and in the past I
had difficulty with Red Hat and Bibletime.  But praise God, with the help of the
Bibletime developers, that is in the past.

Because I don't know everything that you've tried, and I can glean some
information from your original message, I'll give you the main point from my own
experience, based on your message, that I feel could be of use to you :)
After a few failed attempts at installing Bibletime 1.2.1 from the source code
on Red Hat 7.3, I found out that Red Hat doesn't put it's KDE files in the
standard location :(  Joachim gave me this information that totally fixed my
problem: When you configure Bibletime, and Bibletime Docs, instead of just
running "./configure", you must make sure that you run "./configure
--prefix=/usr" on both Bibletime and Bibletime Docs, otherwise Linux won't know
where to find some of the things it needs to run Bibletime.

If this doesn't help, or you have any other questions that I may be able to
answer to help your Linux experience be an enjoyable one, feel free to contact
me off list :) (I only said that relating to any non-Bibletime related
questions.  Other than that, the Bibletime developers will be glad to be of
assistance :)) (I'm no guru, but I do know enough to at least get you going in
the right direction :)

Again, if you need any help, I'm here :)
Steven P. Ulrick