[bt-devel] Packages for mandrake

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:14:06 -0500

On Thursday 28 November 2002 08:47, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> The best would be to offer the RPM made on a unchanged system, which means
> with standard KDE.
> Is this possible?

That is why I keep a build system running with a pristine copy of Red Hat 8
(plus updates) for RPM building.  I have been down the road of RPM's that
didn't install for people because of software changes -- I have a much better
argument for them when I can say 'it was built on pristine Red Hat 8 --
what's different about *your* system?'

Of course, YMMV, but if I had a copy of the relevant Mandrake here I might put
up a slow build box to run it.  In fact, I am doing something similar to that
right now -- I constantly get requests for oddball old stuff for PostgreSQL,
so I acquired an Evergreen Systems CAPserver 2045, which has 10 complete
Pentium 83 systems in its enclosure.  Slow: but will work for build hosts.  I
just have to configure it properly. (Each system is a single ISA card with
kbd, mouse, video, serial, and 10Base-T ports on the backplate, and has IDE
and floppy connectors on it.)  Now I just have to acquire the required number
of hard drives....

Of course, it is my conscious decision to not work with the latest and
greatest -- and, frankly, my mouth waters for KDE 3.1; but I make that
tradeoff. YMMV, of course.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio