[bt-devel] making installation easier

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:36:27 +0100

Hi!

> A very unfinished proposal:
> We could create a bibletime-sword module. It contains the sword lib and
> necessary additional files like sword.conf and the locale stuff. Users only
> need to install it if they have not installed sword already. Sword will be
> linked in dynamically (I think this is a lot more cleaner approach how to
> handle libaries). This package could even contain small example modules.

I think the best way to link to Sword is statically linking. With shared
linking problems like unresolved references may occur, if the user updates
his shared Sword lib. Static linking is the best way.
We should change the SPEC file to include the Sword locale files additionally
to the sword.conf file. So there's no need to install the Sword library
itself.
Providing a basic RPM with some module is ok, too. This way BibleTime cvan be
shipped together with the KJV as standard base package.

In 1.2 we should add the ability to create Personal commentarioes using the
SWModule::crewate functions. So there's no need to download the personal
commentary.

Joachim