[bt-devel] Documents status

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:38:51 +0100

Hi Fred,

> copy the .pot to the desired directory and change the .pot to .po, there
> is no difference until the translator starts to work on it.  I have not
> tried to get kbable to create the .po from the .pot files, but I think
> this is one of it's features.

I guess so. Otherwise the files would always be overwritten -- which we would
definitely not want.

> > I want the "make handbook" command to create html and maybe a make po
> > command to update for the translators. Therefore I need these commands.

After reading your insightful hints I decided not to include these in the
Makefile system. Only the translators are going to use them. It may be
necessary to create a help page at sourceforge describing the exact
translation process step-by-step.

> Unnecessary is probably a matter of opinion here.  As we have been
> linking the cvs document files to the sourceforge documentation, I thing
> these files need to contain the /common directory unless one of the
> programmers knows how to create a relative symbolic link in there place.

I was not talking about the common directories. Please keep them! Displaying
the handbook via sf webcvs gateway works just fine.
But imo you could remove directories and files of the old help system such as
HTML and docbook_xml if you don't need them any more. The Makefile system
does not require them any more.

> All of the existing picture files were copied and placed in the proper
> directory after replacing all of the _ with -.  I did not put pictures
> here unless they were customized for the target language.

That is another issue. What should happen if a language does not have
pictures? Should the english pictures be copied into this language's
directory when installing or will it work anyway? And will the webcvs also
work for html files without images? Maybe we should just copy all of the
english images into every language's directory and let the translators
customize them if they want? Symlinks won't work in cvs imo.

Martin