Installmgr & fonts (was Re: [bt-devel] RE: UTF-8 and new module classes)

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 20:49:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joachim Ansorg" <jansorg@gmx.de>
To: <bt-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: Installmgr & fonts (was Re: [bt-devel] RE: UTF-8 and new module
classes)

> Hi!
> > QUESTION: Are we prepared to take a snapshot the source tree for
installmgr
> >             at this point, and start a different branch of development?
Is
> >             there any development being done to installmgr by anyone in
the
> >             sword group now?
>
> I'm not sure what our result of discussion was on this list. Havn't we
> decided to create it as a part of BibleTime?

Well, I understood that we were going to discuss approach and feature
content
(which we've begun to do -vis a vis font installation and ftp download), and
that the solution was to be a 'part' of BT (Does this mean it can only be
available after BT is installed, or couldn't the same code be available
to the RPM install script as a standalone version to install a base set
of modules and fonts?)

What I'm also trying to do is get a handle on just how integrated the BT
effort is/has been to the Sword project.  I've been playing around with the
CD, and apparently BT is one of a number of tools distributed by this CD,
with Sword having it's own Bible s/w running on windoze as well?

The nature of my question(s) is/are to resolve:
1) How much code can be used as a code base from the Sword installmgr? (if
any)
2) If we really want me to write from scratch? (which I'm not adverse to
doing)
3) Whether the features that are apparently in installmgr are what we are
   looking for, or do we want to engineer something better? (which is fine
   by me and currently sounds like what we'd like to do)
4) If we were to use installmgr as a code base, wouldn't it be bad taste for
   me to take it without the sword team's knowledge and permission?
(according
   to open source development etiquette)

The nature and purpose of most of my questions is mostly to gain historical
development information from the team (what is, and what has been done) to
help guide me to build something that fits.

There are an infinite number of ways to solve most problems.  Most of them
are not coherent to the current context.  If I don't understand the current
context, I stand a good chance of building something that is of limited
or no value.

Help me out here, guys. :-)

Tim