[bt-devel] InstallMgr replacement - was Idea for BT 1.1 or beyond

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 15 May 2001 16:22:15 -0700

> Troy, could you please give some comments on the below:

Sure.

> > Gtk is crap :)
> > I never looked at it, it's plain C and I don't like it ;)

Well, no comment should be necessary.  From the second line, 'I never
looked at it...' one should be able to correctly ascribe the value of
the first line. ;)

> Well, the InstallMgr (sword/apps/X11/InstallMgr) is C++ and glade-based (like
> QT designer) created. I have becom careful with saying something is bad
> without having looked at it. ;) Maybe it's not that bad?

:)

We use our VCL port anyway, and not straight gtk.  Would be cool to make
a qtVCL port... oh wait, I think Borland already did that...

> > My opinion is to integrate it into BibleTime. IMHO it's not too much work,
> > because FTP and HTTP classes are already in the kdelibs.
>
> You may be right here, but this would surely mean a duplication of efforts.
> If we still want to make a kde version it should be
> -a separate app
> -available as a static version so that all unix users could use it. It could
> then eventually replace InstallMgr for unix.

I'd love to see the remote install features of the windows version
carried over to the linux version.

		-Troy.