[bt-devel] General development questions re installmgr

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:46:16 -0400

I've been spending some time trying to figure out how to work with
the options dialogue, and qt/kde in general.

I have some questions:

1) It seems that I spend a great deal of time trying to maintain
    a stable development environment.  Today I did a CVS update
    to my development directory, and had to do a make -f Makefile.cvs
    and ./configure in order to build correctly (This was done after
    I had to "create" the missing common directory and files in the
    docs/sk/HTML folder).

    After letting everything recompile, BT showed the splash and SIGSEGV.
    So now I must download the 1.0 release tarball, and have to
    recompile the world again to try to find the problem.

    Do developers do cvs commits on code that won't at least clean
    compile, or am I facing a platform problem here?

2) In order to add a page to the options dialogue, I am looking at the
    coptionsdialog.cpp, ressource.h and coptionsdialog.h files.

    In ressource.h, I could add:
    #define OD_ICON_INSTALLMGR LOAD_OD_ICON("package_utilities")

    In coptionsdialog.h, I could add the method definitions for:
    COptionsDialog::initInstallMgr() and
    COptionsDialog::saveInstallMgr()

    And in coptionsdialog.cpp I could add the code for the above,
    perhaps basing the option page on a QHBox object.

    Things seem pretty hard to understand at this point.  It's difficult
    for me to predict what is to happen next.  If I do the above with
    say a call to:

    addHBoxPage(i18n("Install"), i18n("Install and Configure Modules",
                OD_ICON_INSTALLMGR );

    in the initInstallMgr method, should I expect to see the graphic
    "package_utilities.png" displayed in the list, even though I
    haven't done anything else (such as define a signal/slot pair)?

Any direction at this point would be appreciated.

Thanks... Tim

--
Tim Brodie/ CTO
Display Works Inc.