[bt-devel] beta1 is released now

Chris Marsh bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:53:10 +1000

Aaaggghhh! I'm in a rush!  Where can I get sword 1.5.1???

Chris Marsh

Analyst Programmer
Hansen Corporation
Ph:	(03) 9843 8438
Fax:	(03) 9843 8590

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Hoyt [mailto:jeff@jhoyt.faithweb.com]
Sent: Friday, 30 June 2000 6:52
To: bt-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [bt-devel] beta1 is released now

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> good work. Hopefully we will have lots of user feedback.
> Joachim, Is dnd ok now? If so, what should I start to work on now?

Your work on d'n'd is great!  Thanks!!!!!

> Somebody on the sword list said that logos is much better than sword.
> Can anyone report about it and even provide some screenshots?
> We should collect lots of different screenshots of different programs on a
> secret place on bibletime.de and compare and learn from others. Joachim,
> you said you have some?
>
> If bibletime shall be the _best_ available tool (which is a very high
aim),
> it requires a LOT of work and especially early design and layout and
> interface discussion and development. It is easier to change something now
> than later.

BT's user interface is the best I've ever used in a Bible program.

> Do y'all agree?
> (If we would continue development just the way that I personally am
> developing, bt would move towards a dead end.)

Probably the best Bible software in the universe is Hermenutica from Bible
Works.  To go along with the advanced features, it also costs upward of
$500!
 It's strength is the Greek and Hebrew parsing features.  It has
"morphological" functions relating to this, which I don't completely
understand.

For this stage in development, Bibletime/Sword is very good, far more
useable
than the shareware/freeware Bible study programs for Win such as Online
Bible
and SwordSearcher.  There are a couple more fairly complex features I would
like to see implemented, and there is also the issue of search speed.
Compared even to OLB BT/Sword is a turtle.  This is really a matter of
convenience, but search speed has become somewhat of a standard benchmark by

which Bible software is judged.

Though this is "anathema" to some Linux people, releasing a Windows port of
Bibletime is the best way to attract new users and developers.  Honestly,
the
Sword interface for Win32 that exists now is rather bad.  I realize it is a
hack just to get it onto the Win32 platform, but if it would be possible, BT

for Windows would be great.

BTW, I'm including a text-only handbook.  It is not thorough, but covers
most
of the basics and some of the advanced features.  It still needs to be
converted to DocBook format.  Anybody know how????

God bless,
Jeff
--
| http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |