Details

    • Type: Improvement Improvement
    • Status: Closed (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Major Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: None
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: None
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:

      Windows 7 (64-bit)

      Description

      In Windows, many of the Sword utilities (for 1.6.2) often generate these lines:

      Error reading ulBuffNum

      These are sent to stdout, rather than stderr, so they get included in any piped output from the former. The message usually occurs in triplicate!

      This is an issue of considerable standing - it's been around for ages, but no-one seems to have come up with a fix yet.

      It occurs when using tools like
      diatheke
      mod2osis
      mod2imp
      mod2vpl
      etc.

      Usually triggered by missing books, chapters or verses (in relation to the defined v11n).

      A search through the mailing list archive indicates that several users have encountered the problem.
      (not just me!).

      Is anyone actually doing something about this?

      (a) to ensure that these error messages are propelrly sent to stderr
      (b) to fix the utils so that this particular error message is rarely sent

        Activity

        Hide
        David Haslam added a comment -

        Patch to ensure that these error messages are properly sent to stderr

        Show
        David Haslam added a comment - Patch to ensure that these error messages are properly sent to stderr
        Hide
        David Haslam added a comment -

        The above patch was provided by Jonathan Marsden.

        See the sword-devel mailing list.

        He wrote, Here's a trivial 5 minute patch for (a). It compiles. I don't have a
        sample input file that makes it generate the error, so I didn't test that

        Show
        David Haslam added a comment - The above patch was provided by Jonathan Marsden. See the sword-devel mailing list. He wrote, Here's a trivial 5 minute patch for (a). It compiles. I don't have a sample input file that makes it generate the error, so I didn't test that
        Hide
        Jaak Ristioja added a comment -

        This also happens with tools like BibleTime which use Sword. These annoying messages really make it hard to debug BibleTime, especially if they come in hundreds.

        Show
        Jaak Ristioja added a comment - This also happens with tools like BibleTime which use Sword. These annoying messages really make it hard to debug BibleTime, especially if they come in hundreds.
        Hide
        Chris Little added a comment -

        fixed in r2808
        These sorts of issues would be more likely to receive attention if they were reported to the correct project: API rather than MODTOOLS.

        Show
        Chris Little added a comment - fixed in r2808 These sorts of issues would be more likely to receive attention if they were reported to the correct project: API rather than MODTOOLS.

          People

          • Assignee:
            Unassigned
            Reporter:
            David Haslam
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            2 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved: