[xiphos-users] xiphos does not show any Bible text

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Mar 28 13:41:46 EDT 2024

For some reason, mail is getting oddly backed up for this mailing list.
I found out about this because I got an admin request, and then I found
that a few messages have not gone through to all.

oldschoolcowboy at protonmail.com writes:

    It seems the problem is something is stopping the visual display of
    all Bible text.
    All modules are in place.
    i installed another bible app that uses the same sword database
    sources and everything appears as expected in that app.
    so what in xiphos is blocking the visual display of all Bible text?

Short answer:
It's not a Xiphos bug, it's a WebKit bug, which is the HTML rendering
library we use in Xiphos.
Set environment variable WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 before you
start Xiphos.

Long answer:
https://crosswire.org/pipermail/xiphos-users/2023-October/000240.html

I have made a code change to do this internally to Xiphos, so that it
does not depend on the user to get it right, and I am intending to do a
release, but I am currently hung up on CI issues with github.