[xiphos-users] lack of text display on some platforms

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Oct 18 19:06:07 EDT 2023

This is an FYI for users who have recently seen(sometime in Fedora 38/39
or Debian 11 timelines) that Xiphos does not display text properly in
its text widgets. Xiphos starts, no error messages are seen, menus and
buttons show text normally, but the text windows for Bible, commentary,
dictionary, and genbook content are blank.

The text is present, but the lack of display is a regression in recent
WebKit, the toolkit which drives these widgets. It's not a Xiphos bug,
and the WK bug is specific to nvidia-enabled machines. Workarounds for
the moment are to set either of these environment variables before
starting Xiphos, which prevent WK from engaging certain accelerations in
nvidia contexts:

WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1
WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1

I suggest the latter because it works in more circumstances; the former
isn't successful in certain virtualized environments.

If a WK fix isn't forthcoming sometime soon, we'll make a fix that does
the above ourselves, internal to Xiphos. But we'd like to think that WK
people will take care of this soon.