[xiphos-users] xiphos install on win10: "windows protected your pc"

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Aug 17 07:41:15 MST 2017

I've got 4.0.6 installed on a win7 and on my desktop win10 at work.  No
sweat.

Last evening, I was going to install it on my wife's win10 laptop. When
I double-click the installer, I get a blue box that says, "Windows
protected your PC," refuses to run the file, offers a single button at
the bottom of the blue box, "Don't Run." No other option.  I can click
the Don't Run or I can click the upper-right corner X, both of which
make it go away.

Apparently this is something called "smartscreen," that appeared first
in win8. But it wasn't active on this machine before, because 4.0.5 is
installed. Some update must have brought it along for the ride.

I've surfed for ways to stop this, but all the articles discuss it as
win8 and all references to the control panel aren't the same.

Can someone tell me how to unlock this beast?