[xiphos-users] ideas for the future

Muddleglum Smith muddleglum1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 13:39:50 MST 2017

First, thank you, Karl, for putting me back on the mailing list. I hope
that other potential listees hadn't given up at the block.

I recently wanted to search in the ante-Nicene fathers.
1. Could you allow searches in books, please?
2. Is there any way to split books up like the Bible is split up?
 a. We could type in, for example, joseph.wars.2.1 or similar to look up
references quickly.
 b. We could run searches in specific groups of authors or times.

That would require more generalized handling of the databases, but, of
course, that will be easy if crosswire had written their program well in
the first place (According to theory, anyway. Then, again, if every
programmer in the past had attempted to write their code that way we would
still be using '50's software...)

Search result Bible version mungering.
Suppose that a user wanted to search for a strong's number. Suppose that
that user wanted the results in a version that did not have strong's
numbers. Is there an easy way to change the results to display in any
version requested? Yes, I know it could be very misleading to start from
the kjv, but starting from, say, westcott and hort with strong's numbers
will allow for a quick and dirty check on how a Greek word is translated in
different modern versions. I agree that if this is done that a message in
red type warning users not to be slavishly stupid would be very
appropriate. :-)

Fixing module font shrinking display.
It looks as if you fixed kretzmann's commentary. Thanks! Now go to the ABP
version of the Bible and check out, for instance, Mark 2. The incredible
shrinking font has struck again! :-)

Dupped arrows.
When I first come up in windows (10) I see two sets of arrows for the Bible
book, chapter, and verse. Six sets or a round dozen arrows in total. if
need be, ask, and I'll send an image, if I can figure that out.

Finally, in regard to your request for reports of failures in Windows,
could you add code to allow us Windows users to elect to log the stack in
case of bombs, crashes, and assorted other mishaps? We could then send you
a text file with the stack and version and whatever other information you
can glean from Windows. I know it could be done in the past using MS's C++
compiler, but I'm ignorant of current practices.