[xiphos-devel] attempting to clear matters for a release

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Feb 15 18:28:15 EST 2024

As anyone has seen today who gets issue/source updates from github, I'm
doing a few cleanup things toward the goal of a release.

Yes, I've been gone an indecent amount of time again. Regrets and
apologies. No, Xiphos has not /quite/ been abandonware, but admittedly
it's been close. A couple folks' activities have driven me out of my
darkened hovel.

At this time, I need some assistance on a couple of things. Much of the
github CI/travis/whatever machinery has always been a mystery to me,
others have handled it before, and I'm feeling out of touch.

First, there are 3 open (ancient) PRs and I am trying to determine
whether they're relevant.

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/pull/1007
updates USE_GTK_3 to use GTK_CHECKVERSION(3,0,0).
Fine idea. Seems incomplete. There are a number of instances of
USE_GTK_3 not covered by the change. I can always merge it, then do
another update referencing it with the remainder, that would be fine.
But comments mention that CI is not functional because of repo perms to
allow the .com name. I don't know where this is done. Clues for the
clueless would be welcome.

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/pull/1103
adds dbus stanza to src/main/CMakeLists.txt
Seems fine on its face, but comment is that dbus fails on Nix, yet I've
never seen a failure of this anywhere. Needed? Critical? Ignorable?

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/pull/972
appears to annihilate GTK2 usage entirely. Sorry, so long as we support
Windows build, where we lack adequate GTK3 support (much less GTK4), we
are stuck with #ifdef-preserving GTK2 interfaces.
Am I right about this? Is there better GTK3/4 for Windows?

Other updates already done:
- Basic copyright update
- Live chat reference update from freenode to libera
- WebKit regression workaround using environment variable, since WK
people are not fixing that problem.

A main driving reason for all this at this time is that webkit2gtk-4.0
is about to go defunct in favor of webkit2gtk-4.1. This will cause
trouble as e.g. Fedora 40 and other distros firm up. So updates were
merged recently which move us away from 4.0 + soup2 to 4.1 + soup3.

In the CI/travis world, auto-builds are always failing. This hasn't
concerned me much up to now but if I'm going to make a release, that
stuff ought to run. Aaron Rainbolt made a comment at some point that
this is due to a mis-expectation of building in a git tree which ¿is not
the case when CI/travis is operating?. Again, I need clues for how to
address this.