[wxsword-devel] Re: [sword-devel] New, young, front-end

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:11:37 MST 2005

Lynn,
I tried to do the whole Windows-build idea with MinGW and things have not
been going well. So far the best I can get is a version of gcc that always
complains that I do not have any files supplied on the command line, even
when I do have them supplied or am just asking it for a version number. My
successes with any type of wxWidgets-related build in VC6.0 is slightly
greater, but I can never build anything other than the supplied demos
because things die with a linker complaint. I now have some ideas and leads
on what to work out with that, but no guarantees yet.

As to the problem with using wxMozilla verse wxHTML - wxHTML has no support
for CSS of any level and didn't seem to do colors well, either. I saw some
talk on the wx lists about moving to wxMozilla to replace wxHTML, but I
don't know whether anything is coming of that. It's a shame that the
download is that huge for Windows, as it's only a tiny fraction of that to
download the sources (500K). Primarily I was looking for using the wxMozilla
widget because it is significantly faster than wxHTML (wxMozilla loaded at
test HTML page of 15 megs in about 3-5 seconds on a fast machine while
wxHTML took around 12 minutes to open the same file) and because it has
support for CSS, which, in my opinion, is necessary if any move is to be
made towards using external CSS or even some form of internal CSS for
display formatting with either ThML or OSIS (there was a post somewhere on
the list a few weeks back concerning external CSS and OSIS in Sword).

I think I will return to my attempts to build wxSword under either MinGW or
Visual C++ after I complete one of the coding tasks I have tackled in
wxSword. What's your opinion on the wxHTML/wxMozilla comparison?

--Greg