[sword-devel] Module release: LXX

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Sep 1 08:41:57 EDT 2022

So, LXX is hard. Chris Little did a bit of research a while back on
editions of the Greek OT. Some of his hard work is available here:

https://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/versification/lxx_v11ns/

There are all kinds of crazy things in there, including our of order
verse numbers (SWORD doesn't current support), more than one text
tradition of the same book:

http://crosswire.org/study/bookdisplay.jsp?mod=LXXM

Notice in the index along the left JoshB and JoshA, JudgB and JudgA, etc.

In the end, we decided the worst of all evils was simply to settle on a
superset LXX v11n that contains a place for everything.  The downside of
this is that you may find a empty verses (as David has found).  Another
downside is that we allow the same content to be versified in different
ways IN THE SAME V11N depending on how the edition versifies it-- this
makes it very hard to build a true parallel display in the future.  The
upside is that we can simply show most LXX editions the way they were
published, and that outweighed the downsides.  If we ever actually
improve our mapping data to show LXX next to Masoretic versification, we
can consider breaking out the LXX into multiple v11ns or some other
solution (v11n exception in the .conf file has been a consideration),
but this hasn't had anyone really step up to do all this work-- except
for the hard work from Костя for initial design and implementation of
v11n mappings support and a few initial mappings.

Anyway, that's the background and problems, with the path to where we
are today,

Troy

On September 1, 2022 2:12:31 PM GMT+02:00, domcox <dominique at corbex.org>