[sword-devel] How to test (tei) module

ZdPo Ster zdposter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:27:42 EDT 2022

Hello,

As I got a strong suggestion to use the TEI as the format for the
dictionary I face the problem of how to test the created module.

For example:
wiki (https://wiki.crosswire.org/TEI_Dictionaries) suggest to use for
Internal references this:

When I have a look at
https://gitlab.com/crosswire-bible-society/strongsgreek/-/blob/master/tei/strongsgreek.tei.xml
I see usage like this:
<ref target="StrongsGreek:427">427</ref>

I tried to avoid 'hardcoding' a module name in the dictionary, so I used
<ref target="self:00427">427</ref>
but it does not work (in Xiphos) - maybe I got it wrong.

In The TEI Guidelines (
https://tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/ko/html/DI.html) I found this
example:

so I tried:
<ref target="#00427">427</ref>

And - it does not work... After try and test I found variants that
works ('strongsgreek_sk.tei' is name of my test module):
<ref target="strongsgreek_sk.tei:00427">427</ref>
<ref target=":00427">:427</ref>
<ref target="427">427</ref>
<ref target="00427">427</ref>

I am not sure if this is a problem with the frontend or the library or
my module, so I am looking for a way to test tei formatting without
needing to test various sword frontends...

Also I am not sure if somebody is interested in these
findings/experiences (where to report it?).

BR,

Zdenko