[sword-devel] Open source DuoLingo

Andrew Smith w.andrew.smith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:43:50 EDT 2022

If we were to add IPA-encoded pronunciations, perhaps there is an IPA
vocalizer that could be used instead?

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 12:47 AM Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>
wrote:

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> I've updated the lesson selection to suck a bit less and fixed the problem
> when a lesson quiz was getting stuck toward the end when only a few cards
> were left to master.  Same link:
>
> https://crosswire.org/fc/app/
>
> The source for our flashcards facility is here.  There is much more in
> that repo than just the quizzer that I introduced a few days ago.
>
> https://crosswire.org/svn/flashcards/trunk/
>
> The new quizzer is under the www/ folder.
>
> You asked about a web application, and there is a web application
> available under the web/ folder, written in JSP.  The new www/ folder was
> started from this, but is purely html/js/css now, with no server backend
> required.  This allows the www/ folder to easily be turned into a mobile
> application which will run on both iOS and Android without changes using
> something like Cordova.  That is my current projected goal.
>
> I hope that makes sense.  There is the beginnings of code to look in an
> audio/ folder to allow the user to hear the words.  That would be next.  I
> might try to first investigate using some kind of text-to-speech service
> via Google or Apple.  That won't give us Erasmian pronunciation, but if you
> talk with a modern Greek studying ancient languages they mock us for our
> pronunciation anyway :)
>
> Would love any help or suggestions.
>
> Troy
>

> On 3/17/22 18:38, vtamara wrote:
>
> Sounds interesting.  I would like to help, although I have so many open
> source projects as volunteer going ... (check
> https://gitlab.com/pasosdeJesus )
>
> Where is the source code of the flashcards app?
>
> Have you considered a web application for that? (latelay I have been
> working specially on Ruby on Rails)
>

> Blessings.
>
> El 2022-03-10 18:15, Troy A. Griffitts escribió:
>
> Hey guys. I have a seminary who wants to teach ancient biblical languages
> as living language, meaning they want to use audio and conversational
> exercises as they teach their students, just like one might teach any
> language actively used in the world today. Basically, they'd like DuoLingo
> for Ancient Hebrew and Greek. I did a quick search for "open source
> language learning frameworks" and couldn't find anything which looks like
> it has much promise.
>
> Do you guys have any recommendations? Barring that, do any of you have any
> interest in either updating our flashcards app into a more capable
> DuoLingo-like app (+audio, different ways to ask questions, multiple
> options for correct answers, possibly more gamification), or simply
> starting something new like this?
>
> The seminary says they have a team happy to provide the content.
>
> Thanks for any research on this and for considering offering ideas and
> work,
>
> Troy
> -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

> --
> [...]

W. Andrew Smith (PhD, University of Edinburgh)
Associate Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at Shepherds
Theological Seminary