[sword-devel] SVN 3813 makes compilation of Sword fail

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun Oct 18 19:07:48 EDT 2020

"Added extra cast (int)(size_t) to avoid stupid clang error that doesn't
like void * being cast (int) directly to an int."

UH-OH!!!

First of all, the build that failed for BibleTime was using GCC not Clang.

Secondly, the compiler is correct to warn, because a pointer does not
always fit into an int, e.g. for the LLP64 an LP64 data models [1]. So
it seems that you might be throwing away half of the bits and expect it
to always work. For those data models it might work if your OS only
gives you addresses in the range of [0, 2^32) but that is not always
guaranteed, leading to undefined behavior.

In short, please don't store pointers in integers other than intptr_t
and uintptr_t and convert them using reinterpret_cast! See also:

   http://eel.is/c++draft/expr.reinterpret.cast#5
   http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.stc.dynamic.safety

Best regards,

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#64-bit_data_models