[sword-devel] How to access raw OSIS files

Philip White philipwhite at cedarville.edu
Tue Mar 10 14:08:00 MST 2020

Hi,

I'm interested in building a linux command line module viewer. From
the wiki and the FAQ, it seems that the only way to work with the
modules available from the website is to use the SWORD library. If the
raw OSIS files were available, then I think I could write a
low-dependency piece of software (counting all dependencies) since I
will probably not use everything that the library provides.

Is there a place I can get OSIS modules for something like the KJV
with Strong's numbers module? My understanding is that the modules
format acts as a sort of DRM for those modules that need to have some
copyright protection. However, a lot of Bibles, commentaries, and
books are public domain, so there would be nothing preventing the
distribution of the OSIS files.

In summary, my question is how I can obtain the files in the
standardized OSIS format instead of the undocumented modules format
that modules on the website come in.

Thanks,
Philip