[sword-devel] Bible in Basic English

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 15:36:43 MST 2020

It may have been published at one time with copyright notice and another
without. The Public Domain claim was suppose to be due to a 1965
publication of it. Find such a copy without copyright and that would
establish that it then went out of copyright in the US. That is my
understanding but I could be wrong.

If so then it was Public Domain (in the US) but then latter again it wasn't.

Forever can be a tricky thing. Some such lost copyrights were later
restored. If a copyright owner wanted to enforce the restored copyright,
on those who had relied on the Public Domain status of the work, the
owner was "directed to notify reliance parties if the owner of the
rights planned to enforce the rights. One means of notification was
filing with the Copyright Office a Notice of Intent to Enforce (NIE) a
Restored Copyright." (Quoted from https://www.copyright.gov/gatt.html )

If you were not a "reliance party" at the time then you should probably
treat it as under copyright. Again, just my understanding.

Even so, maybe it is Public Domain, yet again.

A copyright holder saying "copyright now applies only in the UK proper.
We wouldn't seek any enforcement outside of the UK," could perhaps be
taken as stating that they consider the work PD "outside the UK." But
what do I know. Consider that a guess and I would want that email or
better, if I was going to rely on that statement.

Why not contact them again and ask for formal permission to distribute
or their acknowledgement that you don't need it?

Jerry