[sword-devel] Win32 FileMgr Subclass

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Jul 19 09:22:44 EDT 2020

On 7/18/20 1:53 PM, Tobias Klein wrote:

> No, I have not tested my code properly with non-ascii characters in
> paths / file names.

The original cause for the Xiphos patch to Sword was because, 11 years
ago when we introduced the Win32 port, as GnomeSword was renamed Xiphos,
one of our first new Windows users was a fellow in Spain who wanted to
review it.  His name was Reuvén, and that was his login name on his
Windows machine.  So of course the path C:\Users\Reuvén was involved,
and that 'é' is what killed us.

What dies here is Sword itself.  Xiphos was fine, being already based on
glib, but Sword's collapse came as soon as Xiphos made its first
filesystem call.  The patch glib-ifies Sword, where glib works rather
hard at hiding the UTF16 boundary from the application.