[sword-devel] Sound files - proposal

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri May 24 05:20:10 MST 2019

Many modern Non-Western Bible translations go along projects of recording the texts. Right now I have been offered sound files for one set of translations we have for a majority non-Christian country.

Quality sound files take about 300-1000x the memory space and subsequently also bandwidth than text only, so I do not think we should propose distributing such. Sound files are usually per chapter.

But I would like to propose following

1) Introduction of a conf property which is by default negative with regard to installed sound files.
2) A standard place in the conf files which refers to a download link for sound files.
2) Based on that - sound file links are kept invisible in the text
3) A mechanism to install sound files from other hosts (the translation organisation e.g) and automatic change to the conf entry - at change of which sound file links become visible.

This requires as per my thinking

a) a small change in the filters - I think can do that - on test of a conf property sound file linkes are not passed out of the filters
b) a small change in relevant uploaded modules - I can do that - each chapter will carry a link to a per chapter sound file.
c) a change in frontends which allows the use of the link in the conf files to download relevant sound files and change the filtering conf property once the download is successful.

Thoughts?

Peter