[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Tue Mar 12 23:58:34 MST 2019

Thanks Troy and thanks Michael for your detailed responses! I realize
that the discussion as such is not new and you must have spent a lot of
time already in the past on this.

The point about a 3rd party selling locked sword modules with the result
that support questions are getting back to the publisher or CrossWire is
a valid concern/risk.
I guess it could be mitigated to some extent by good communication in
the context of the download/payment process.

> We're happy to distribute the enciphered module for them, they simply need to
> sell the unlock key from their website.  This is our current policy with
> copyright holders.  I haven't had any copyright holder say they are not
> interested in this process.  There may not be a problem to solve, just
> work to do.

I guess 2 options would be valid here:

1) Either they sell the keys,

2) or if they are not ready for this (for whatever reason) the keys
could be sold by a non-profit organization.

Regarding the "repeatable conversion process". I think a key is that
this conversion process does not have to be re-invented for each and
every single copyright holder.
If I understood the "Digital Bible Library" correctly, they do have the
data of all the major copyright holders in their database and they do
offer a technical interface (REST API) to access that data in a standard
way. So, once the negotiations are there, the same "conversion script"
could be used for any of the copyright holders (in theory at least). And
that could dramatically reduce the technical work necessary to work with
multiple copyright holders.

Thanks for encouraging me to start with one specific copyright holder,
that's what I was thinking. I may start with the German Bible Society then.

I'm not at the point where I'm like "Let's do it!!". I'm exploring the
requirements and conditions for success. I will have to pray about it.
It's a lot of work, I realize that. And I'm not sure whether I'm ready
for this, yet.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Tobias