[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Michael Johnson Michael at eBible.org
Tue Mar 12 16:51:26 MST 2019

On 3/10/19 7:56 PM, Tobias Klein wrote:
> On 10.03.19 21:50, Michael Johnson wrote:
>> I am well aware that this does not address the preference majority language speakers may have for certain modern copyrighted proprietary Bible translations. The best solution for access to those is to figure out a way to pay for those. This is not unreasonable. One of my few contributions to the Sword Project code was the encryption code used for locked modules for sale. However, the current model for selling modules excludes the Crosswire Bible Society, which actually doesn't handle money. I could through
>> eBible.org, but I would need help with that.
>
> Thanks for the clarification regarding DBL, Michael - that is very helpful! Do you know of any projects that sell non-free translations for the purpose of using them in an open source product?

Those exist, but are rare. In general, proprietary Bible translation copyright owners are wary of anything open source. I can think of a couple of examples off of the top of my head: the NASB on https://eBible.org/study/, the NIV and NASB on https://InScript.org. These are open source software (InScript, AKA BrowserBible) hosting some commercial Bible translations. In the case of the NIV, some money changes hands, but not from the end user.

There is some software that is given away at no cost to the end user, but which is not open source, that has had greater success, like YouVersion. YouVersion, however, does cost a great deal of money, and there are some back room deals I don't know the details of to get some of the translations on there. Much of it is bartering translation use for customer contact information and advertising value. This is a reasonable approach for a segment of the Bible study app "market". It just happens to not fall
within the scope of what I do with eBible.org and CrossWire, which is all about free, unencumbered access to the Word of God in as many languages as we can provide, with special attention to those in creative access areas and those who may have Internet access, but no credit cards.

> I have only seen non-free translations in commercial bible software so far.
>
> So, if I understood you correctly, the availability of specific non-free bible translations for use in an open source product would still depend on individual negotiation efforts with the respective bible societies?

YES.

> If I and/or others would want to pursue that route - do you have any other recommendations, specifically regarding the negotiation process?

Use godly wisdom. I'm too tired of the rejection to do much more of that. I have had some great successes, like with the Tok Pisin Bible, but that took literally years to do and is not something that is repeatable in the same way due to changes in the organizations and personnel.

If God is calling you to do that, though, don't let me dissuade you. Just don't expect me to join in that particular battle with you. ;-)

--
signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143*• USA
mljohnson.org <http://mljohnson.org> • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule