[sword-devel] Q about compressed modules

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:53:52 MST 2018

Hi John,

If you're planning to submit to crosswire for hosting, All of these
questions are handled by the module maintainer at crosswire (currently
Peter.) You don't really need to worry about them, other than to confirm
your source does compile. You need to confirm it's clean source (the OSIS,
ThML etc. has no technical flaws), and that it compiles cleanly, but the
module you build is only for testing, local use. Peter (or the current
maintainer) builds the module to be hosted on the server. Once you've
completed the module and it works, you submit the source material to
compile a module, not a complete/compiled module.

If you're planning to host a repository, then these are important concerns.
Using the 4 bit flag is fine for everything, but note that if you're
actually displaying 64kb of text at one time, response time on some devices
gets nearly unmanageable.  More text in one chunk = more lag.

If you're building for personal use, plain text generally runs a bit faster
and less cpu intensive (not that any computer/phone/device is going to have
any visible difference these days) and the memory cost is minimal. So..
you're phone battery lasts a bit longer if you leave the module
uncompressed, but you'll run out of memory more quickly. Crosswire
compresses everything, mostly to keep internet bandwidth down, but there
are minor copyright concerns as well.

Related to "installing" the module before compressing it with mod2zmod...
You need to be able to access the plain text module with diatheke (is
diatheke still supported?) from the same command line you will run
mod2zmod. That is, the command line needs to be able to access the module:
the command line program diatheke is your testing tool to determine it
does.

Regarding mod2zmod - I never made it work.. I was only successful using the
compression within osis2mod.