[sword-devel] In Windows command shell, diatheke search is restricted to ASCII for the query key!

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:39:23 MST 2017

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Windows 7 x64 using ordinary cmd.exe as the command shell.
>
> Do you think I'd get better results if I called diatheke.exe from inside a
> cygwin shell ?

I think that I don't like to think about UTF-8's vagaries across operating
systems and prefer to work in programming languages where this is already a
solved problem. :) But it's worth a test from Cygwin.

> btw. I've never used Windows PowerShell.
> I even had to look it up in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell

It's supposed to be the replacement for CMD, but every once in a while
Microsoft relents and updates CMD. Like everything Microsoft does, it's
liable to stick around in both forms for over a decade. You could also test
in this environment in addition to cygwin. That would give us more
datapoints to see if the error is in our parsing of command line options,
or if the shell is corrupting them for us.

> How come this only came to light in 2017 and there's nothing in our
> developers' wiki about this problem?

I don't think that using those command line tools that are bundled with
Xiphos is a particularly supported workflow. Even less so among people
using characters outside of the 7-bit ASCII set.

--Greg