[sword-devel] Suffix 4 for various ModDrv parameters in .conf files?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 13 08:55:23 MST 2017

The required parameters for *ModDrv* specified in
https://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files#Required_Elements

do not include these three items:

*RawText4*, *zCom4* and *zText4*

which are mentioned /only/ in the third column in a subsequent table:

https://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files#General_informatic_and_installer_elements

Should not the list of allowed parameters in the first table be extended to
include these?

cf.  *RawCom4* and *RawLD4* are already in the first table.

The question is prompted by discovering the updated *RusCARS* module
recently sent to the modules mailing list is in fact set to install in

./modules/texts/ztext4//mymodule//

and has this line in the .conf file:

ModDrv=zText4

As this is the first time that I've encountered 'ztext4' as part of the
module path, it set me thinking.

Shall I just add the three missing items in the first table?

If so, what's the rationale? Is it only for modules having entries greater
than 32K bytes?

Is it ever likely that a Bible module has such an entry?

I suppose this limit might be exceeded for Bibles with very long
introductions at either testament or book level.

Further thought:

If a module that was previously in this path

./modules/texts/ztext//mymodule//

is updated by one that is in this path

./modules/texts/ztext4//mymodule//

might there be any additional requirements for the *module manager* to
perform?

Assuming the module name is unchanged, I suppose there may be no mechanism
to ensure the the superseded module files are removed. Is this a concern?

Best regards,

David