[sword-devel] Announcing Sword++

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun Sep 25 16:37:06 MST 2016

On 26.09.2016 00:25, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Libsword needs to be working for all kinds of devices and in a million
> of unanticipated environments. Now and in future.

Give me a break! I doubt there will be much demand in the near future
for BibleTime to run on less than 64-bit CPUs, for example. Given how
C++ has evolved and will evolve in the near future (e.g. Filesystem TS,
Networking TS etc) I think it is Sword which will be lacking behind.

> Changes like dropping of utilities (diatheke for one, which is
> extensively used by module makers) and bindings (again used ++ by
> module makers)

I don't remember the exact reason for dropping diatheke. It might have
been a mistake. Thanks for pointing that out!

I removed the bindings so I wouldn't have to deal with them. It
simplifies the build system and there are now fewer dependencies.
Second, I don't have time to maintain the bindings and BibleTime doesn't
require them. Third, I think any language bindings should be kept in a
separate code repositories. The utilities or tools should probably move
to another repository as well.

> - need to be slow, reliable and consensual. And the
> maintainers need to be slow, reliable and acting in consensus, too.
> Plodders, more than revolutionaries.
>
> Are you a plodder, seeking consensus?

Two clicks just took me these Wikipedia paragraphs which describe some
of the issues we're having:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making#Criticism_of_blocking

I seriously urge us all to read and consider this subsection of that
article in our context.

Blessings,