[sword-devel] OSIS Dictionary module

John Austin gpl.programs.info at gmail.com
Thu May 5 01:34:46 MST 2016

Hi,
IBT uses osis-converters which currently uses OSIS for dictionary
markup, even though tei2mod is used to create dictionary modules.

An OSIS file is created for the dictionary using usfm2osis.py. Then
tei2mod is used to create the SWORD dictionary module, so
osis-converters runs osis2tei.xsl
(https://github.com/refdoc/Module-tools/blob/master/bin/osis2tei.xsl) on
the OSIS file to create a TEI file that has the structure required by
tei2mod. However the markup within the TEI structure is still OSIS. So
the TEI file has TEI structure, but uses OSIS the original markup.
That's why the resulting dictionary modules have within their .conf
files: SourceType=OSIS.

This is done as a migration step towards TEI, but osis-converters will
not use any non-OSIS markup in dictionaries until/unless SWORD TEI
support is complete across front-ends (xulsword already supports TEI
markup, but other front-ends may not yet).
-john