[sword-devel] The OSIS s grain operator?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 11:30:29 MST 2016

Still waiting for a SWORD coder to answer my earlier question, repeated
below.

cf. DM Smith & I are planning to make use of it in the next release of the
KJV module.

-----

Does SWORD support the s grain operator within osisRef ?

>From the OSIS 2.1.1 Reference (page 148)

The s grain operator is a string, enclosed by square brackets and preceded
by the "@" sign, all of which
follows, at a mimimum, the main part of an osisRef. For example:

• RSV:Gen.1.1 at s[beginning] Points at the starting character of the word
"beginning."
• RSV:Gen.3.20 at s[Eve] Points to the starting character of the word "Eve."

You may wish to convince yourself that the s operator is easier to use than
cp but to each his own.

Warning: Note that the s operator does not allow spaces. That is to say that
you cannot put a phrase between the square brackets. That limitation is due
to the handling of spaces in XML. It was an issue that the editors struggled
with for some time but ultimately, it was decided that word level matching
would meet most users needs.

David