[sword-devel] Hosting non-US public domain modules

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 22 08:26:43 MST 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:11:05PM +0530, Baiju M wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:47 PM, jonathon <jonathon.blake at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 22/01/2016 10:57, Baiju M wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of proof will be required? Do we need complete scan available in public?
> >
> > US Case Law implies that works first published in a language other
> > than English, and first published outside of the United States, and
> > first published after 1909, are under copyright within the United
> > States. Furthermore, copyright status in the country in which the work
> > was originally published does not appear to be a relevant factor.
>
> If this is correct, we may need to take down the Malayalam bible from
> the Crosswire server. The Malayalam bible was published in 1910. So,
> can anyone please confirm on this?

the only way to have any certainty is to get a legal opinion from an
attorney who knows the law of the land where it will be hosted, and also
that of the land where the actual copyright was granted. Not to mention
the US law, if the repo will be availalbe to US-ians. and in fact even
that isn't 110% certain until it is adjudicated by a court with
appropriate jurisdiction.

Even though IANAL* (and I do not play one on TV), If someone were to sue
Crosswire and/or those affiliated with it over such a module, it could
get ugly, and verrrry expensive, quickly.

Therefore I would urge caution in matters such as this.

*I Am Not A Lawyer

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."