[sword-devel] Contributing to sword-tools repo?

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:13:16 MST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:
> On 2016-01-14, 12:50 GMT, Baiju M wrote:
>> I know that this project is encouraging new contributors. I can read
>> like this here: http://crosswire.org/volunteers/
>> "Currently, the CrossWire Bible Society has a number of projects in
>> progress, all open to new volunteers"
>> I think moving to Git would be a good choice.
>
> I think you misunderstood the situation. There were numerous
> flamewars on the topic of svn/git migration (browse through
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.literature.sword.devel to see
> for yourself), and I think the sitaution is a bit more
> complicated than what this page suggests. The powers to be IMHO
> actually really do not want new contributors to sword, because
> they would have to loose some control over the project. You may
> be allowed to contribute a simple bug fix, but the current state
> of the sword codebase is good enough for them and there is
> really little if any will to change status quo. And SVN serves
> as a pretty good barrier for entry of new contributors, so it
> will stay here for a long long time.

Thanks for the pointer to old discussions! I also read all other
replies came so far in this thread.

I am new to this project. Though I am interested to contribute to this
project. My motivation is not the tools or technology that is used
here, rather it is the goals of this project that inspire me. (So far
I helped to create Malayalam module (mal1910)  with the help of many
others.)

I will try to understand more about this project in coming days and
see how I can contribute.

With thanks and regards,
Baiju M
P.S: I have some experience contributing to FOSS projects
        http://muthukadan.net/about.html