[sword-devel] Glossaries & LangSortOrder

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 14 02:05:56 MST 2016

I think I now understand better why John designed this feature.

The example (now in the wiki page) is for Turkmen Latin.

LangSortOrder=AaBbCcÇçDdEeÄ䯿FfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnŇňOoÖöPpQqRrSsŞşTtUuÜüVvWwXxYyÝýZzŽž

Observe the strange order in that, with Ä䯿 between Ee and Ff.
Why on earth, might you ask?

Consider the history of the official language in Turkmenistan.
During the Soviet era, the script was Cyrillic. Now it's a Latin script.
The Bible glossary was probably made in Cyrillic and merely transcribed to
Latin by a conversion program.

Thus the order of the glossary words would reflect the order of the Turkmen
Cyrillic alphabet.
And as the aim was to keep to the order of the source text glossary, a means
was required to prevent resorting to different criteria, i.e. According to
the Turkmen Latin alphabet:

AaBbÇçDdEeÄäFfGgHhIiJjŽžKkLlMmNnŇňOoÖöPpRrSsŞşTtUuÜüWwYyÝýZz

Apart from the order being different, this has five fewer letter pairs!

I may not be right in some details, but the overall idea seems sound.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmen_alphabet

Best regards,

David